Skip to main content

THE MOST IMPORTANT CREDENTIALS DON’T HANG ON A WALL

Have you ever walked into a professional’s office – a doctor, or a lawyer or an accountant, say – and saw one wall of that office covered in credentials – diplomas, certifications and awards?  I think that’s an experience that most of us have had.

It seems obvious to me that this is done because such professionals want us to know how much they know.  They want us to know that they know what they’re doing.   They want us to know that we can trust them and their expertise.

There’s an old saying: “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.”  For me, that’s not entirely true when it comes to professionals like doctors and lawyers.  I really want to know that my doctor knows what he or she is doing.  I want to see proof of that as soon as I walk into that doctor’s office!

However, I do believe that saying is 100% true when it comes to pastors.

When you walk into my office, you won’t see my diplomas or any other credentials on a wall.  (Actually, you will see one award hanging on a wall.  Come to my office and see if you can find it!)  The reason for the lack of physical credentials in my office isn’t because I believe pastors shouldn’t display them.  (That’s just a style choice, as far as I’m concerned.)  It’s because I don’t know exactly where they are!  They’re packed away in a box somewhere in the parsonage or church.  Obviously, I’m not too concerned about displaying them!

Why?

It’s because there are two other credentials I believe are much more important for you to know about me as your pastor, and I can’t hang these credentials on a wall.  These two credentials are: 1) I love God, and; 2) I love people.

I could know a great deal about a pastor’s education and experience.  I could have a firm understanding of that pastor’s areas of expertise.  If I didn’t have a sense, however, that the pastor loved God and loved me, that other information wouldn’t count for much.  I’m thinking you’re probably like me on this.

That’s why I’m working hard by the grace God gives me to establish these two credentials with you.  Once established, then perhaps my experience and expertise as a pastor will become important and useful.

I so appreciate all the people at NUMC who have given me and are giving me opportunities to establish these credentials.  Thank you for coming to worship so you can honor God with me and experience God’s presence with me and thereby get a sense of my heart for worship, God’s Word and the importance of the gathered Body of Christ.  Thank you for talking with me about your lives.  Thank you for sharing some of the difficult places you’re currently experiencing and allowing me to offer pastoral care in those places.  It is in such ways and by such means that the two most important credentials of a pastor become known!

Who knows?  Maybe someday I’ll even find that box of diplomas…

Blessings,

Pastor Blaik

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A CHRISTIAN?   CONSIDER THE FOUR L’S! The mission statement of the Newtown United Methodist Church is “Helping Christians Grow and Growing New Christians.”   This statement raises a very important question: What does it mean to be a Christian?   Arriving at a shared understanding of what makes a Christian a Christian is crucial for us at NUMC if we’re going to fulfill our mission! One understanding of what it means to be a Christian is that a Christian is a disciple of Jesus.   The word “disciple” is based on a word which means “a pupil of a teacher” or, simply, “a learner.”   Jesus said that we are to be making disciples (see Matthew 28:16-20).   Another understanding of what it means to be a Christian is that a Christian is one who follows Jesus.   Jesus also said that we are meant to follow him (see Matthew 16:24-26).    Another understanding is that a Christian is a miniature version of Jesus or “a little Christ” (which is the literal meaning of th
Receiving, Opening, and Using the Greatest Gift   This is the season when we celebrate the greatest gift ever given: Jesus Christ, sent to be the salvation of all humanity and the entire created order! Christmas reminds us that, even during the most difficult of circumstances, God is among us to bring us healing and hope, and to show us the way forward. Through the gift of Jesus, God gathers us together as a congregation meant to worship and serve in the name and power of our Savior. Even as circumstances have required us to rethink almost every aspect of our mission and ministry, God has consistently gifted to us what we need to continue to be a faithful and vital church!   We continue to offer high-quality worship in three ways – live in our sanctuary, through livestreaming and through a recorded version of the live service available on our website (www.newtownumc.com) and Facebook page. We continue to offer meaningful ministries to children and their families both online and

Gifts Given for Divine Purposes (Luke 1:26-38)

  This post exists to help you answer the profound and pressing question (which, I’m sure, is on your mind or at least will be in a moment): What do Mary the mother of Jesus, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and you all have in common?  This question is so compelling, you will keep running it over and over in your mind, searching for the answer, even as you continue to read!  Have you ever received a gift that really was for the benefit of the person who gave it to you?   Have you ever received a waffle iron from someone in your family who likes waffles (and you are the one who makes breakfast)?   Gifts like that are given for the purpose of the giver, not the receiver.  In a way, many of the gifts God gives are like that.   Throughout the Bible, when God gives someone something, it is usually for the fulfillment of a purpose God has in mind. Many of the gifts God gives are for God’s purposes.   Often, people who receive such gifts from God are not too happy about receiving them – at